Record breaking temperatures, worst drought years and biggest wildfire seasons are not the records we want our state to be breaking year after year. It’s clear- climate change is here in Oregon, and we need to act now.
The good news is that this summer we have one of the best opportunities we've had in over a decade to make progress on tackling climate change on the federal level. But in order to help make sure it happens, we need everyone to urge their elected officials to #ACTNow on climate.
Here are five simple ways that you can make your voice heard on climate that we know will make a big impact:
1. Take a video petition that we can share on social media to show your elected officials visible support for climate action.
Here's a quick how-to:
Make sure you are in a well lit area. Find a quiet place where there isn’t too much background noise. When you’re ready to film, hold your phone horizontally/ in landscape mode. Make sure you are in focus, and the camera is eye level.
Here's a sample of what to say, but feel free to add anything else! Videos should be anywhere from 15-45 seconds long.
- City in Oregon you live in
- Why you think we need climate action/share ways you've been impacted by climate change
- Call on your representative/senator to be a leader on climate action in Congress/thank them for their leadership
When you are finished filming, please upload your video here OR email me a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Write emails or letters to your members of Congress. Send an email or handwritten letter to your elected officials in support of bold climate action. You can find your members of Congress here and here and some tried and true tips on writing a letter/email here. Remember that it is always best to include a personal reason why you care about climate change and urge action.
3. Call your members of Congress. Give your members of Congress a call and let them know you support strong action on climate change. You can find your members of Congress here and here.
Here's a sample of what you can say:
"Hello, my name is ____ and I am from ____, Oregon. I am calling to ask Representative/Senator ____ to (continue) to push climate action in Congress. I care about action on climate change because ______. I am calling on Rep./Sen.____ to prioritize climate action, including providing tax incentives for clean energy generation, storage and transmission, electrifying transportation, retrofitting buildings and homes to be energy efficient and protecting land and water resources. (Thank you for your leadership on climate.)"
4. Post on social media. Show visible support for climate action by posting on social media. Social media can be a great way to raise visibility for an issue and get people in your life to engage on the topic. Remember to include why you care about climate action, tag your decision-makers and use the hashtag #ACTNow and #ActonClimate. If you live in Rep. DeFazio's district, you can also help by sharing this post on Facebook or retweeting this tweet.
5. Ask five friends and family to do the same. To see meaningful action on climate change this summer, we need everyone to make their voice heard. Please help spread the word by encouraging five friends and family to take these five easy actions.
Please feel free to reach out with thoughts, questions or pictures of you in action that we can use to inspire others.
Thank you for all you do to ensure Congress will #ACTNow on climate.