Environment Oregon joined together with 24 local, regional, and national conservation organizations to voice united concern for Oregon’s forests. Our organizations sent a letter to Senator Ron Wyden with our summarized concerns and opposition to his bill, S.1784, or the "O&C Land Grant Act of 2013."
The bill would:
• weaken environmental laws and policies;
• dismantle the Northwest Forest Plan;
• mandate aggressive logging and harms water quality;
• fall short on old growth protection;
• dispose of and fragment public lands;
• offset major environmental harms with small conservation gains; and
• set a dangerous precedent for public lands across the nation.
Read the full letter here.
The groups signing the letter are:
American Bird Conservancy, Audubon Society of Corvallis, Audubon Society of Portland, Bark, Benton Forest Coalition, Cascadia Wildlands, Center for Biological Diversity, Conservation Northwest, Coast Range Association, Dakubetebe Environmental Education Programs, Earthjustice, Environment America, Environment Oregon, Forest Web of Cottage Grove, Gifford Pinchot Task Force, Klamath-Siskiyou Wildlands Center, Lane County Audubon Society, Oregon Wild, Sierra Club, Soda Mountain Wilderness Council, Threatened and Endangered Little Applegate Valley, Umpqua Valley Audubon Society, Umpqua Watersheds, Western Environmental Law Center and Willamette Riverkeeper.